Oh I have been waiting for this for a long long time. After Coven finished I was like a lost soul, searching to get my fix of twisted story lines and fabulous f*ckery (sorry I just had to!) And now the time has come, my next dose as been delivered with the next season of American Horror Story- This time set in a ‘freak show’ circus in 50’s America (specifically a place called Jupiter in Florida…how cool!)
Halloween month couldn’t be a better time for this show to start.
I don’t want to write a long post on each episode because trust me that would be pages long, so instead, here’s a quick list of the things I loved most/can’t wait to see.
- Jessica Lange– Oh how I love Jessica Lange. Her fabulous, dark and ruthless characters have always been the main reason I love so much love for this anthology series. And once again, Ryan Murphy and Brad Falchuk have delivered excellence again. Playing Elsa Mars, the owner/frontwoman of the Freak Show, as soon as I saw her black heels clicking down the hallway I knew she was going to be yet another fantastic character. I love the German accent and the bag with the devil on it…where can I get me one of those?! Plus- Gotta love the Life On Mars song solo!
- Sarah Paulson– One heads heaven is another ones hell. I love love love these characters already. Sarah is doing a great job at playing both characters differently, and I love the camera shots they used to show both Bet and Dot’s separate point of views. So cool!
- Evan Peters- Oh the 50’s suits him so well. And with a name like Jimmy Darling, I can already tell he’s going to be a subversive heartthrob once again.
- Kathy Bates– Her enigmatic accent playing the bearded lady, Ethel Darling, is so cool, and has sparked lots of debate about where she could be from.
- Twisty the Clown– Oh my God. When I saw Twisty I almost had a stroke, and isn’t that just exactly what I want? Yes. Yes it is. But seriously, he’s terrifying. As someone who hates clowns (but who doesn’t?!) This was like something from a nightmare…that toothy grin is chilling.
- Mat Fraser and others- I love how for the most part AHS uses real actors with real disabilities. Like Nan in the first two seasons, played by Jamie Brewer who really has Downs syndrome. It’s great that these actors, like Mat Fraser who plays Paul the Illustrated Seal, and Rose Siggings as Legless Suzi own their disabilities and agree to be in a show that openly showcases them as ‘freaks’ like they would have been seen years ago.
- Where is Angela Basset and Emma Roberts?!- I know it would have been a bit much to introduce them all in this one episode but I just can’t wait to see who these fabulous women will be playing in the next episode!
Tell me what you loved about this episode in the comments or tweet me! Now I’m off to try and erase Twisty from my mind before I go to sleep tonight…